Author Topic: Colour Correction?  (Read 9294 times)

UberMunchkin

• Stalker
  • Apr 2014
  • If I'm not bollocking it all up, something's wrong
    • TheFacepuncher
Colour Correction?
« on: July 27, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Hey guys.

Going to keep this short, would it be possible to add subtle colour correction to some of the maps as an optional feature (A lot of Source Games have CC toggle in the Advanced Video Options)? I mean, with all due respect to everyone else working on the mod - from all the small recent tests I've done with CC, it's doesn't seem to be as complicated as the rest of the stuff being worked on, it just needs a bit of jiggery pokery to look good.

Just for example, have a quick test CC that actually turned out better than expected:

Click to reveal
Strength - 0

Strength - 0.35

Strength - 0.5

Strength - 1 - Not recommended at all, only shown for demonstration purposes

Extra: Original use in SFM:

Obviously we wouldn't have the game plagued with CC up the wazoo at 500%, of course. If we could just keep it subtle, it may just add a little extra substance to a couple of areas. Thoughts?

RaTcHeT302

• Developer
  • Apr 2014
Colour Correction?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 09:20 PM »
I really like the original HL2 lighting/feel in some of the areas though, CC should probably have to be used a bit more sparingly imo but idk the rest probably know more about it than me.

I mainly don't feel as if it would really help too much until most textures are finished, seeing as those will actualy probably change the overall look of the game quite a bit (with them being sharper and stuff).

Also I mainly despise CC seeing as even at lower ammounts the game starts feeling washed out, something which I really hated about Battlefield 3.

I mean immagine if Dishonored had a blue filter applied to the overall image, or even the original Half Life, I just find it odd how suddenly there's no constrast between anything at all, it really looks bland in the end, or even worse than the original image you had as a reference or whatever.

PS: Do correct me if I'm wrong tho, it's not like I am 200% right about what I am saying :v

Also as an extra, I'd rather avoid making Half Life 2 look similar to how some bad SweetFX configs are setup which almost make me feel as if I was going blind (yes I know this is not SweetFX but the effect is similar).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:45 PM by RaTcHeT302 »

RaTcHeT302

• Developer
  • Apr 2014
Colour Correction?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:15 AM »
PS: CC might work, would have to experiment with it first tho.

UberMunchkin

• Stalker
  • Apr 2014
  • If I'm not bollocking it all up, something's wrong
    • TheFacepuncher
Colour Correction?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36 AM »
Hey don't worry about it. The images I posted weren't the best really to showcase the idea. You could probably just implement a few things like they did with L4D2.

Glitchvid

• Technical Lead
  • Admin
  • Feb 2014
Colour Correction?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Hey don't worry about it. The images I posted weren't the best really to showcase the idea. You could probably just implement a few things like they did with L4D2.

I imagine the best uses for it would be for simple art-style cleanup and blowing out certain areas depending on what is needed, CC will inevitably be used; but where and how is yet to be seen.

RaTcHeT302

• Developer
  • Apr 2014
Colour Correction?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I really hate the post process effects in L4D2, I'll probably try to document myself on how to properly use CC or we'll simply have to play around with it.

Glitchvid

• Technical Lead
  • Admin
  • Feb 2014
Colour Correction?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I really hate the post process effects in L4D2, I'll probably try to document myself on how to properly use CC or we'll simply have to play around with it.

I mostly agree.  That said, it works very well in L4D1's art style and makes it look a lot better- I think just CC alone could improve the atmosphere of HL2.
Also, feel free to put a tutorial up on how to "properly" do cc on the wiki.